Saturday, June 30, 2012

2 Week Rewind

I should probably be punished for blog abandonment, but we'll just move forward and I'll try to give you an idea of what's been going

This whirlwind started with a SURPRISE!! When I was still in Utah, Lori purchased a plane ticket to come to Georgia to visit before she left on her mission. We told our parents that she would be able to come home on June 25th and stay for a week, but what they didn't know was that she was coming home a week early! I made up an excuse to leave the house at 9:00 at night. Thank goodness to a corn boiling my parents hosted, they were too tired and busy to even analyze my reasoning. I took off down the road and headed to the dark. As I was driving, my worse-case scenario self came on scene and I pictured myself in a car accident on the side of the road and nobody (well, only a couple of people) knowing where I "really" was. Luckily, I made it to the airport and got my sister back! I attempted to take a picture, but I took off running to get her that it blurred, so imagine a tired but happy traveler walking through the concourse. :)

The next hour and a half were painful!! We were so excited to be together, but dying to get home and surprise our parents. We didn't make it home until after 1 AM so all was quiet at home. Each parent was woken up by our surprise guest and then we were all awake for a couple of hours. Please imagine a picture of four happy people with very tired eyes. PS - by the time we made it home it was June 19 - Dad's birthday. Pretty good gift, if I do say so myself.

A couple of days later, I was off on vacation thanks to Bradley and his family. We were off to Sea World and had a fabulous time. A little hot, but it's Florida in the summer, what do you expect? Great weather (except for the day it rained), great company, great memories! Pretty sure it couldn't have been any better.

(Thanks for the picture...I was lame and basically didn't take any pictures)

We got back and it was back to my family. This is the part where it gets blurry for me. Lori and the parents worked hard while I was away playing putting away this years crop of corn. I know we've played...a lot. We've  played with the kittens, found out that my obnoxious hiccups actually are a communication with the funny looking black chicken we have, and cut grass. There have also been massive rain storms (thank you Tropical Storm Debby - our dirt road still has water on it in some places and that was a week ago!), random projects, late night games and chats, playing in the park (Lori knows when I need a break and takes me to play), pea-shelling. One day while I was working, Lori came in to my office and did my hair while I was working...oh the challenges of working at home. :)

Tonight, though, we had a new experience. Dad and I went and cut one of his yards today in the heat of the day. In case you don't know, the best time to cut grass is in the morning before it gets too hot. I volunteered to go with him and was really glad I did - saved him time out there and I got to ride the big - win. :) Anyway, we came home and we both came in and cleaned up. I left here white and came home brown, so a shower was definitely in order. The poor guy came in and collapsed in his chair, so I told him I'd put all of the equipment away (I like to think I can do all of these things I've never done). 

For some reason, I feel you need to understand that I went outside in my pajamas and flip flops. All I had to do was back the mower off the trailer and park it in the shed, and then move the truck under the carport. I went and opened the shed door and took two steps ahead when I looked down and saw a SNAKE! I seriously was just inches away from him and would have stepped on him. I jumped straight up in the air and took off running for the house. It was time to break out the work boots. I ran inside, told mom and Lori what I'd found, put the boots on and took off back outside. Lori was right on my heels and we were looking for that blasted critter. Lori spotted it had slithered under moms tire. Luckily I had my car keys on me, so I jumped in her car and rolled the window down. Lori gave me directions, and I tried to follow and, miracle of miracles, I got it. I jumped out, grabbed a shovel and carried him off to the woods. At this point I ensured that the snake was dead, but I'm not putting that on here. Not sure what kind of snake it was, if it was poisonous or spent it's last day on our property. GROSS!! I hope I never have to do it again, but I'm proud to say that if I had to do it, I could. Please don't imagine a picture here. :)

For this experience, I blame Lori (the word "blame" is used loosely). She said she wanted to see a snake while she was home. Wish granted. 

There has been so much other stuff going on, but it'll have to be left to memory, at least at this point. Lori leaves us on Wednesday...I'm so not ready for this week. It very well may be the hardest week of my life. Very bittersweet. So proud of and excited for her, but we're all going to miss her like crazy! 18 months isn't that long, right?? (Anyone want to remind me of that on Thursday?)

No comments: