Have you ever tasted something so incredibly delicious that you just HAD to share it with EVERYONE!! It didn't matter who it was. If you could get someones attention you had to tell them how good it was! You hear the person at the table across from you order the same item and you lean over and tell them they made an absolutely AMAZING choice because you've already tasted it and you know just how good it really is!!
I've been that person, and I've also had people try to share amazing things with me. There have been times (especially in my really picky phase) that people would try to share an incredible treat with me, but because I was afraid of some of the ingredients, or because I wasn't familiar with what was really in it, I wouldn't even take a taste. And really, what was the worst thing that could have happened? I could have taken a bite, hated it, and spit it out (which, incidentally, is EXACTLY what happened with sushi). But I did try it. In recent history, as people have recommended food to me I have at least sampled it. In almost all cases I end up liking it to one degree or another (I tried frog legs on Saturday...didn't love them - they tasted like fishy-chicken!). Regardless of if I really love it, only tolerate it, or completely despise it, I'm grateful that someone wanted to share what they had with me.
There is something else in my life that I love even more than food! It's The Book of Mormon!! There are people who, like me, think it is TOTALLY amazing because we have "tasted" it! There are others who feel indifferent, and there are those who are afraid of what may be inside or who are afraid (like me with sushi) that you may actually end up liking it one day and what that might mean (sushi, to me, is an expensive habit - I'm okay if I don't end up loving it any time soon). :)
Inside this book I find another testimony of Jesus Christ. I learn more of His teachings, His ministry, of His love for all of His children. This is a record of the people who lived on the American continent before, during, and after Christ's earthly ministry. Just as was prophesied that a new star would appear at the time of Jesus' birth, so it was prophesied in the America's.
Signs were also prophesied about His crucifixion. After He was crucified, the risen Lord not only appeared to the people in Jerusalem, Galilee, and other areas, but He also visited the people in the America's!
As I read and study both the Bible and the Book of Mormon I gain clearer insight and understanding! They work together to testify of Jesus Christ. They work together to bring all men, women, and children to a knowledge of His love, sacrifice, and mission to bring each of us eternal life. But we have to be willing to take the first step.
So, here is my invitation for you to try something new! I invite you to "taste", as it were, the most delicious treat EVER! One of my most favorite chapters in The Book of Mormon is 3 Nephi 11. This is the chapter in which Christ appears to the Nephites (the people who lived on the American continent). I love the feeling of peace that I get as I read about Christ descending out of Heaven and into the midst of the people. I hope as you sample it that you enjoy it as much as I do. If you'd like a free copy of The Book of Mormon, leave me a message!
1. Learn to make French croissants 2. Ride in a hot air balloon 3. Visit NYC 4. Make all recipes in Josi Kilpack's Culinary Mystery Series 5. Visit Mackinac Island, MI 6. Read the standard works cover to cover 7. Visit Pike Place Market in Washington state 8. Learn to play the guitar 9. Graduate from college with a degree 10. Go deep sea fishing 11. Walk 500 miles in one year 12. Participate in a humanitarian service project 13. See the Northern Lights 14. Adopt a child(ren) 15. Attend General Conference in person 16. Drive in all 50 states 17. Take a pottery class (or other craft) 18. Learn how to can/preserve food 19. Get something published 20. Learn to play chess
21. Try standup paddleboarding
22. Take a completely spontaneous trip
23. Grow my hair long and donate it
24. Plan a menu for a restaurant...possibly open it. 25. Marry my best friend 26. Live in a big city
27. Have a food fight
28. Stay out all night star gazing 29. Test drive a car I could never buy 30. Be kissed in the rain 31. Get a passport 32. Attend a Brian Regan show 33. Learn to change the oil on my car 34. Eat no chocolate for 1 month 35. Visit the Sacred Grove 36. Ride a train long distance 37. Wish on a shooting star 38. Grow a small garden 39. Attend a midnight movie premier 40. Find a cure for my hiccups
41. Learn ASL
42. Go on a cruise 43. See the Eiffel Tower 44. Ride a motorcycle 45. Spend the night on the beach 46. Donate blood
47. Ride a segway
48. Take a dance class
49. Pet a shark or sting ray
50. Cut down a Christmas tree 51. Own a baby grand piano 52. Attend the filming of a TV show
53. Ride in a taxi cab
54. Eat at a DD&D featured restaurant
55. Run a 5k 56. Ride a horse
*Bold items = complete
There is no passion to be found in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living. -Nelson Mandela
The Lord knows who we really are, what we really think, what we really do, and who we really are becoming. -David A. Bednar