Thursday, January 26, 2012

Road trip

I talk to my parents almost every single day. I talk to my dad on the way to work and I talk to my mom on the way home. It gives us a chance to fill each other in on the happenings of our lives and keeps us close, even though we are across the country. Randomly as we're talking I'll think of a memory and this is one that I had last week.
I was talking with my dad and I remembered the first time Lori was leaving for college. We were living in PA and had to make the hour long drive to the airport to drop her and mom off. On the way back home, dad and I were talking and he said that he wished we could go and see Uncle Tom in West Virginia. I said that it sounded like fun and didn't think much of it. That was the beginning. He was completely serious about his suggestion and so we called a friend to watch the dog for the weekend, we went home and packed on overnight bag, and we were on the road within the hour. We had such a fun trip. I think it was a 7 hour drive each way, but it was such a great trip. As an adult, I value that time I had with him and realize now what a treasured experience it really was.

No comments: