Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A Straight Path

I work in a triangular shaped building. When you exit the building, you walk out to the sidewalk which splits ahead into a V (see diagram below). If you take the left side, it takes you to another sidewalk that lines up next to the cars. The right side, though, which is the one that I take, kind of stops at the corner, but begins at a planter. If I walk straight (walking toward My Car), I can walk right out onto a curb. Now, I don’t know about you, but if there’s a curb, and not too many people watching, I walk it. I have been doing this for over 4 months now and some days I’m completely able to make it all the way to the end of the curb into the parking lot, and sometimes I’m all over the place; I can’t stay on it. One day, while driving home, I began to analyze my situation.
I realized that the days where I look at my goal, which is getting to My Car, are when I stay completely balanced and focused and can walk this curb. The days, though, where I’m unsure, or I’m looking down to make sure I’m right where I should be, I begin to lose my balance, I lose sight of my goal because I wanted to see where I was right then.

I suddenly saw in myself how I am with my goals. I usually have long range goals, but I get caught up in where I’m putting my feet right now that I often forget to keep my eye on the end goal and end up getting a little sidetracked. That’s not to say I don’t get back on the path and try again, but I could see that happening for me if I wasn’t aware. Since I made this discovery, I have tested it many times and am happy to report that as it relates to the actual act of walking the curb and to my life goals, I am staying on the curb. I’m not checking to see if I’m right. I know I’m on the right path when I make it to my car (both literally and figuratively).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Heavenly Father was so kind to share you with us. Now it is so neat to sit back and watch his daughter blossom. There is no end to what you can do. You are awesome!!!!!!!!