Saturday, September 11, 2010

Seasons

I love the changing of the seasons, especially from winter to spring, and from summer to fall. Here in Utah, there are already some fall colors hitting the mountain and there is a cool, crispness to the air. It isn’t as hot, the wind seems to blow more, and overall, it just has a different feel now.
I saw a flock of geese flying this morning in V formation. (As a side note – have you ever noticed that when geese fly in a V formation, one side of the V is always longer. Do you know the reason behind this??? There are more geese in one side than there are in the other! Thanks, dad, for a timeless classic!) And, speaking of our flying, feathered friends, there was a bird sitting just above my window at work yesterday and every few seconds, feathers would come lazily drifting by. Something about it made me feel happy and carefree.
Okay, where was I? Oh yes, the feel of fall. I always look forward to fall. It feels so refreshing, especially if you’ve experienced an especially hot and/or humid summer. I love that pumpkins and straw are the decoration of choice, that apples find their way into so many foods (apple cider, apple cider donuts, apple pie, you get the idea), and the fact that leaves turn grown adults into little kids. Fall has this feeling of anticipation, of change, a new beginning. To me, fall often has this feeling of being a fairly tale, it feels magical.
Often, we think that the start of a new year, or spring, are new beginnings, but each season is a new beginning. For us, each day is a new beginning. Each day should have a sort of magic that drives us and motivates us to push through our limits and to work harder. We have the ability to grow, change, start over, and become better. That, I guess, would be the ‘magic’ of the atonement. We aren’t limited to where we’re at because of poor choices we made, or even things we’ve done. Our Heavenly Father wants us to become the best we can be. Through Christ, this is possible. I’m so grateful for this understanding in my life!

No comments: