Thursday, September 9, 2010

Continue climbing

Just before my birthday, I posted 24 random facts about myself. One of them was the fact that I have this incredible fear of coming down from things. I don’t have a problem going up things. I can climb stairs, hills, mountains, bleachers, almost anything, but I just can’t come down.

As I’ve been thinking about this phobia of mine, I started trying to make comparisons between my real life experience and some sort of gospel centered principle (because that’s what I do). I finally came up with this – don’t come down from your standards.

Keeping the commandments and committing to live the standards of the church are like climbing a mountain. When we lose our footing or stumble a bit we grab on tighter and continue to climb and to become better (this is what we would relate to the atonement).

Imagine climbing to the top of a mountain and having one of the best views around. You probably wouldn’t want to come down. I mean, you made it! Why would you leave? This happens all too often, though, when it comes to living the laws our Heavenly Father has given us.

I’ve made a commitment to myself that I will continue climbing, forever. I will not come down from where I am. I will do all that my Father in Heaven asks of me, no matter what I have to do.

I’m reminded of a line in the movie “Mulan” when Shan-Yu has taken the emperor up to the balcony of the palace and tells the emperor to bow to him, the emperor says something like,” no matter how the wind howls, the mountain cannot bow to it.” I refuse to bow to the winds of temptation and sin, and even laziness to not move further, when they come – and I know that they will come. Satan’s mission is to keep us from reaching the top, but we can make it – we have to make it! Buckle down, stay focused, and accomplish the work you are here to do.

No comments: