Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Help Them On Their Way Home

This week for FHE, our ward divided into 3 groups and then went to each of the bishopric member’s home for a lesson. The Morgan’s shared a general conference address with us given this past April by President Eyring entitled “Help Them on Their Way Home” (If you want to read the entire talk, click here). I just wanted to share a few quotes that I liked.
“Brothers and sisters, our Heavenly Father wants and needs our help to bring His spirit children home to Him again. I speak today of young people already within His true Church and so are started on the strait and narrow way to return to their heavenly home. He wants them to gain early the spiritual strength to stay on the path. And He needs our help to get them back to the path quickly should they begin to wander.”
“Foreseeing the needs of His children, a loving Heavenly Father placed directions and rescuers along their way. He sent His Son, Jesus Christ, to make safe passage possible and visible. He called as His prophet in these times President Thomas S. Monson.”
“The family has an advantage in the first eight years of a child’s life. In those protected years, because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ, Satan’s use of the mists of darkness to hide the path to return home is blocked. In those precious years the Lord helps families by calling Primary workers to help strengthen children spiritually. He also provides holders of the Aaronic Priesthood to offer the sacrament. In those sacramental prayers, the children hear the promise that they may someday receive the Holy Ghost as a guide if they are obedient to God’s commandments. As a result, they are fortified to resist temptation when it comes and then, sometime in the future, to go to the rescue of others. “
Hearing this talk again came at a very critical time for me. I’ve decided that I love what I’m doing now, but it isn’t what I want to do forever. Since I was in first grade, I wanted to be a teacher, but couldn’t decide between that and business type careers. Now I see, more than ever before, that if I want to make a difference in the world, it will be through teaching. Teaching won’t always be in a classroom setting, or just at church. I can teach now through my example to those around me, to find ways to strengthen my friends, and hopefully to teach correct principles to my own family when that time comes. I want everyone I know and hold dear to find their way home.

No comments: