Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2013 RECAP!!

I am STILL in shock that this year is gone! I knew it would go quickly; it always does when you're trying to get things done! I reported on my goals this year and it still seems crazy that I was able to accomplish them. In that post I promised to relate the things I learned, gained, lost, and loved about 2013. In no particular order, priority or meaning, here it is:

1. I LEARNED that I can set and accomplish HUGE goals!!
2. I LOVED walking with a purpose!!
3. I GAINED a TON of self-esteem!
4. I GAINED myself!! I thought I knew who I was and what I wanted. I thought I was independent. Boy, was I wrong!!
5. I LOST almost 50 pounds!!! I didn't set out to do that necessarily, but it was an AWESOME byproduct of all my walking (and taking a chance in January to join Weight Watchers). I will forever recommend both Weight Watchers and Leslie Sansone Walking Workouts!!
6. I LEARNED endurance!! In June I accidentally jumped on a nail. I managed to walk the rest of the year with a hole in my foot. I refused to see a doctor on the chance that I couldn't finish my goals. Hindsight tells me that I'm an idiot and I should have gone right after it happened. But the good thing is that I made an appointment to have it looked at as soon as I finished that last mile!!
7. I GAINED (maybe) my own apartment!!
8. I LOST some of my big fears: being alone, pain, the unknown, change (that might be a bit of an exaggeration). I still fear snakes, but that's life! The rest still cause some natural anxiety, but none of them hold me back. I'm no longer a hostage of my circumstances.
9. I GAINED a deeper and stronger testimony of Jesus Christ and of His Atonement. How incredibly grateful I am for that!!
10. I GAINED a grateful heart for the things I have.
11. I LEARNED to do with less.
12. I LEARNED that all experiences are for our benefit and learning.
13. I LEARNED a lot about family. They are SO IMPORTANT to me and I'm so blessed!
14. I LEARNED (as in memorized) "The Family: A Proclamation to the World". It is such an inspired and wonderful document. I recite it frequently and understand a bit more about our Heavenly Father's plan for us and our families. It also reminds me that having a family of my own is truly my ultimate goal!
15. I LOST my sanity a little bit. Multiple times I'm sure I was on the edge of a nervous breakdown.
16. I LEARNED that it is okay to say "no". I learned this primarily because of #15.
17. I LEARNED the importance of prioritizing and organizing.
18. I GAINED incredible insights and experience through my personal study, school, the YSA conference I attended, institute, church....you name it!
19. I LOVED the kids I've gotten to spend time with. I often feel lost in crowds, but somehow kids I know find me and make me feel so important. I LOVE that!!
20. I LEARNED how important it is to set patterns of righteous living now!!
21. I LEARNED that the words "I can't" are self defeating! So many times this year I turned around and did the very things I said I couldn't. Don't allow yourself to fall for this trap!

There are definitely more lessons, but this covers the high points! 2013 was an AMAZING experience. I'm not sure if it exhaustion setting in or gratitude in my heart for these experiences that are causing these tears creeping out my eyes. I thought "I" was setting these big goals for myself and taking steps in the right direction, and I guess that isn't untrue, but I've seen the hand of the Lord in my life as I've gone through this year. Had I not started in January with these goals, there is NO way I would have been prepared to start school, and that's only one example, there are SO many! I'm so excited to see the things that I  can accomplish in 2014. Stay tuned for the updated goal list!

No comments: