Wednesday, December 18, 2013

What Motivates Me


I’ve had a few people ask me what has motivated me this year. Why these goals? Why so many goals? What kept me going? There are really two main things.
First, I knew who I wanted to become and it wasn’t the person I was then. I didn’t really like who I was.  I was having a really hard time at the end of last year making decisions, feeling settled, and just dealing with life. I had this idea in my head of the woman I hoped to be and was basing some major decisions off of that, but I wasn’t her. It was then that I decided I would never be her if I didn’t make some changes and DO something about it. It was time to turn my words into actions.
Second, I didn’t want to waste the 18 months my sister was gone on a mission and have nothing to show for it. We were getting letter after amazing letter from Lori and I could see how much she was learning, changing, and accomplishing. I didn’t want her to come home, look at me and give me that “I saved the world, what did you do?” look. I wanted to be someone she could be proud of, just like I am of her! I wanted to live up to the high example she has set.
Every time I felt like I couldn’t walk another mile, or when I felt like the Old Testament would never end, or when my hair wouldn’t cooperate and seemed to be screaming for a cut, one of those two reasons would come into my mind. I became so determined that these things have seriously become a part of me. Reading my scriptures daily is almost a no brainer (except for the weekends…I’m STILL trying to get the schedule to stick on Saturday morning), and working out is more like play time now (words I would NEVER have said before accomplishing this goal), it’s become my reward for surviving my days.
If I had any words of advice for someone planning to tackle big goals, it would be this. JUST DO IT! Make a decision, move forward, and don’t look back. Make adjustments as necessary, but don’t give up. Determine what it is that motivates you and keep those thoughts close at hand.  I would also suggest making your goals visual. For me, it involved putting everything into a PowerPoint presentation and posting all the slides on my wall. Not once did I ever forget what I was trying to accomplish. And lastly, don’t worry about comparing your goals or the accomplishments with anyone else. I had a goal to walk 500 miles, yet had people posting on various media outlets that they had just finished 100 miles in a month, or run so many marathons, or some other really impressive accomplishment. I was tempted to throw in the towel at times because my goals weren’t as grand as theirs. But then I remembered that my goals weren’t their goals. Accept yourself and what you can do. You are doing so much better than you probably give yourself credit for! Just do it!

No comments: