Tuesday, July 9, 2013

A New Realization

I have a confession…I’m a little “baby hungry”, and I guess that’s no surprise to anyone. For anyone who knows me personally, they know I love kids, and for people who don’t know me well, they assume that I must be “baby hungry” because I’m in my 20’s. Whatever the case, it’s true. But I get to share something I discovered this week.

A coworker of mine, with his wife, is preparing to welcome their first child. Another coworker went and bought some gifts for a baby shower she will be attending in their honor. Today she brought out the baby clothes and was showing them to me, and my boss stepped out to see what we were all ooh-ing and aah-ing over. He got this cute face and said that looking at all the cute little clothes made him wish he and his wife had another one…he just loves babies! And inside I died a little out of pure joy and happiness.
And that wasn’t the only moment of happiness and joy. Another male coworker confided in a female coworker who is pretty much the “mom” of our office that all he wants in life is to find a nice girl, settle down, and have a family. This took me by a bit of a surprise because he’s such a rough and tumble kind of guy and just a bit older (not old by any stretch of the imagination, but men I’ve known near his age are typically trying to get their kids grown, not start from the beginning). And it’s just so sweet!

I guess I’ve had a skewed perception of men when it came to children and families, and I can’t really pin point where it began. I mean, I have a wonderful father who puts family first, wonderful leaders and other men who have been positive example. But this perception exists in my mind, but I’m so happy to see this other side. It gives me hope in humanity!! And quite frankly, if they can do it, so can I. :)

No comments: