Sunday, May 5, 2013

The Savior Wants to Forgive

This is such a beautiful talk given by Elder Craig A. Cardon. I will share three quote directly from his talk and then a few of the points that I jotted down that stuck out to me. 

“The Lord looks upon the light we have received, the desires of our hearts, and our actions, and when we repent and seek His forgiveness, He forgives. As we consider our own lives and the lives of our loved ones and acquaintances, we should be equally willing to forgive ourselves and others.” 

“Our Heavenly Father knows what we are facing, that we all sin and “come short of the glory of God”again and again. He sent His Son, who “knoweth the weakness of man and how to succor them who are tempted.” His Son teaches us to “pray always that [we] enter not into temptation.” We are told to “cry unto [God] for mercy; for he is mighty to save.” The Savior commands us to repent and to forgive. And although repentance is not easy, as we strive with all our hearts to obey His gospel, He gives this promise: “Verily I say unto you, notwithstanding [your] sins, my bowels are filled with compassion towards [you]. I will not utterly cast [you] off; and in the day of wrath I will remember mercy.” The Savior wants to forgive.” 

“While speaking to elders assembled in Kirtland, the Lord said, “I will that ye should overcome the world; wherefore I will have compassion upon you.” The Lord knows our weakness and the eternal consequences of “the world” upon imperfect men and women. The word wherefore in this verse is His affirmation that it is only by virtue of His compassion that we may ultimately “overcome the world.” How is that compassion made manifest? To these same elders in Kirtland, He said, “I have forgiven you your sins.” The Savior wants to forgive.”

Before I share my notes, I just have to tell you how incredible it is that our Savior not only WILL forgive us, He WANTS to forgive us. I am SO grateful to have that knowledge.

  • The Savior died and lives to forgive sin. He forgives sin not only in Heaven, but here on Earth. Don't wait to seek His forgiveness.
  • The Lord loves us and wants us to understand that He does forgive. He does NOT excuse sins, but he will forgive when we repent.
  • The Lord knows our weakness and the affect of the world on us. In His mercy, He allows (and expects) improvement.
  • The Lord is always interested in our hearts.
  • Bear in mind that people can change.
    • See people not as they are, but as they can become!
 

No comments: