Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Key Lime Pie Popcorn

We had Ward Family Home Evening (basically everyone from our church congregation (the ward) gets together and has a lesson (Family Home Evening typically happens in families on Monday night) last night which always starts with a potluck dinner. I only had 30 minutes from the time I walked in the door until we left, so I had to make something quick.
 
I'm really loving popcorn desserts lately. Okay, so I just really love popcorn lately. The things I put on it for other people I don't typically love which is why it works. :)
 
I searched Pinterest and came across this recipe for Key Lime Pie Popcorn on the blog, Inside BruCrew Life (may be a new favorite blog!!). Seriously, she has so many delicious looking recipes, I just want to try them all.

 
Here is her recipe:
 
 
Ingredients
 
8 cups popped popcorn
2 cups miniature marshmallows
2 cups graham cracker chunks
10 oz. white melting chocolate (CandiQuik)
1 packet Duncan Hines Frosting Creation Key Lime Pie
2 oz. chocolate melting chocolate (CandiQuik)
 
Instructions

1. In a large mixing bowl toss the popcorn, marshmallows, and graham cracker chunks. Melt the white chocolate according to the directions. Stir in the flavor packet. Pour over the popcorn and toss until coated.
2. Spread the popcorn on a large baking sheet that has been covered with parchment paper. Refrigerate for at least 5 minutes. Remove and break apart the popcorn into chunks. Drizzle with the melted chocolate topping. Let set again. Store in a sealed container for 3-5 days.
Makes about 10 cups.

Notes

If you can't find the Key Lime flavor, feel free to substitute with any of the Duncan Hines flavors.
 


Here's how it actually went down in my kitchen.
  • Our store didn't have the Key Lime flavor (you're in Waycross, honey), and I was a bit frazzled when I went shopping, so changing flavors wasn't really an option. So I purchased lime flavored Jell-O mix instead. DON'T do that! The flavor was okay, but it stayed gritty. I tried to fix it but ended up with a sugary brick of green-ness. FAIL. It was at this point that I decided I would have plain white chocolate.
  • Instead of standard mini marshmallows, I used key lime marshmallows (hello, I think it was a sign!!). I cut them in half since they are about double the size of a mini marshmallow.
  • Graham crackers...yum! Graham cracker chunks...yum, but I'm way too lazy for that! I found Lil Grahams by Honey Maid...bite size little squares that worked perfectly for this dish. (As a side note, 29 pieces are a serving and they have a WW PointsPlus value of 3...YAY!!)
  • 10 oz. of white melting chocolate - here's the deal, I DO NOT like white chocolate! Thinking of coating 8 cups of popcorn with 10 oz. of the stuff makes me gag. I used somewhere between 6 and 8 ounces. Also, instead of coating it, I just drizzled it over the top. That way I could still pick out a few pieces without any "contamination". And, I say somewhere between 6 to 8 ounces because I melted 8 but had some left over.
  • 2 oz. chocolate melting chocolate - yeah, I just skipped this entirely because of my white chocolate drizzle.

 
Even though I'm not a fan of the white chocolate, I HIGHLY recommend this recipe! I can't wait to try another recipe from Inside BruCrew Life. Go check it out!

No comments: