Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Warning Heeded = Lesson Learned

A few posts ago I wrote about my check tire light coming on. I had put that on my list of things to do, but still hadn't completed it.

On Sunday morning I decided to go to church early so I could practice the hymns for the day on the organ and also mess around on the piano a little bit. I went out to my car and it wouldn't start...dead battery. It was inconvenient, but I wasn't worried. I took my father's truck and was on my way. When I got home from church (I only had 30 minutes because I was leaving to go out of town for choir practice that night) I talked to him about it and he said that I should take my mom's car (I seriously have the best parents EVER!!) that night and while I was gone they would try to jump my battery. No big deal, right??

I took mom's car and off on my evening adventure I went. When I parked her car (which is to the right of where I park my car), I noticed the cables going into the battery, but then my eyes went down a little lower and I noticed I no longer had a hubcap on the front, right wheel, and I also had a flat tire.

I went inside, thinking that someone had vandalized my car. My parents reassured me that that wasn't the case. My wonderful father, being ultra efficient and making sure that everything was as it should be, was checking my tire pressure after taking care of the battery. He went to that front, right tire, put the tire guage on, and the valve stem broke right off into his hand, hence the flat tire. He said it appeared to be cracked and could have been that way for quite some time. It also turns out that the sensor that was triggering the light I was seeing is IN the front, right tire.

I consider it a blessing from Heavenly Father that my car battery died. I had every intention of taking my car on that long drive that night. Had I not had the dead battery, it is completely conceiveable that I would have had a flat tire on that trip and been at the side of the road, in the dark, in the middle of NOWHERE, with no cell service (which conveniently I have none for most of that drive).

I also learned a very valuable (and expensive!!) lesson. When you receive a warning, whether it is a light in your car, or a spiritual prompting, or anything in between, don't hesitate to heed it. Look into it, resolve it, act on it.

No comments: