Wednesday, November 7, 2012

We Have Work To Do

Since I've been on this quest to clean up my life, I've turned off many of the shows I watched on a regular basis as I felt I could spend my time doing something better, or at least watching something better. I usually listen to something as I fall asleep. I used to turn an episode of something on Netflix, but have changed to listening to a conference talk. Last night I started listening to the Priesthood session of the October 2012 General Conference. I clicked on the first talk of that session, given by Elder D. Todd Christofferson entitled "Brethren, We Have Work To Do".

I actually managed to hear the entire talk before I fell asleep and two quotes struck me and I thought I'd share. Though it was directed to the men of the church, I feel it applicable to women (myself) as well.

"You adult men - fathers, single adults, leaders, home teachers - be worthy models and help the rising generation of boys become men. Teach them social and other skills: how to participate in a conversation, how to get acquainted and interact with others, how to relate to women and girls, how to serve, how to be active and enjoy recreation, how to pursue hobbies without becoming addicted, how to correct mistakes and make better choices."

"The Church and the world and women are crying for men, men who are developing their capacity and talents, who are willing to work and make sacrifices, who will help others achieve happiness and salvation. They are crying, "Rise up, O men of God!" God help us to do it."

Love this talk! Can't wait to hear the next.

No comments: