Sunday, May 20, 2012

Back in the kitchen - Creamy Tomatillo Dressing

Since I moved, I've missed spending time in the kitchen. Is that weird? Perhaps, but it's me, so there. :)

There's this fabulous little Mexican restaurant chain out west called Cafe Rio (just saying those two words make my mouth water). I didn't go there terribly often while I lived there, but when I did I always ordered the same thing...the Sweet Pork Barbacoa Salad. The pork on this salad is absolutely amazing, but what really addicts me to this salad is the dressing.

If you know me, you know I really don't like salad dressings, especially not creamy-based dressings. Personally, there aren't too many things that gross me out more, but this salad dressing makes me reevaluate my position entirely. Each time I went to the restaurant, I declined the offer for the dressing for the entire first year I lived in Utah, but at some point my resolve weakened and I tried this creamy, green and slightly spicy dressing, and my life hasn't been the same since.

Okay, in all seriousness though, the Creamy Tomatillo Dressing is life-changing. I decided a few days ago that I was really craving this flavor. So, I did what any smart cook would do - I jumped online and found this copy-cat recipe.


1 packet of buttermilk ranch dressing
1 Cup mayo
1 Cup buttermilk (the smallest carton is perfect)
1 bunch of cilantro
2 tomatillos husked (I didn't even know what these were until this dressing haha)
1 jalapeno (take the rib and seeds out)
Garlic powder (just a few shakes)
Juice from 1 lime

First, put the mayo, dressing mix, buttermilk, and garlic in a blender 
and mix until blended all together.

Cut up all the greens - tomatillos, jalapeno, cilantro and juice of the lime.
Add all the green ingredients 
and blend until mixed together and creamy
Then you will let it chill in the fridge for at least 30 min

If you have time to make it, hunt down the recipe for their pork (I haven't had time yet, but I will post it as soon as I do). If you want the full experience - start with a tortilla in a bowl or on a plate. Put on your pork and add beans (I recommend black beans). Then top with your favorite greens (I'm a romaine-type girl), pico de gallo, cilantro and corn tortilla strips (you can add anything else you like). And now the moment we've ALL been waiting for...add the dressing!! And then if you want - add a little more! You won't regret it (and if you do, don't call me.) :)

No comments: