Thursday, April 5, 2012

Seriously, So Blessed

Well, life is crazy busy right now. But, I can’t help but feel like the luckiest girl in the whole world, and I’m pretty sure I am. Now, I’m not trying to be arrogant, just realistic…perhaps I should explain.
It started a several months ago. I knew I wanted to move to Georgia, but I just had to figure out the timing. Then I figured out the timing and had a plan. Then I changed the plan back and forth, but still knew I wanted to move to Georgia. In that timeframe, I went to visit Georgia and fell completely in love with it (probably because it was in the 60’s and 70’s consistently). So, I came back to Utah and knew what I wanted, had prayed about it and felt that it was okay for me continue heading in the direction I was going.
Once that decision was made and a date was set, the next thing was to find a job (and quit a job, I guess). In my head I had this idea that I would give notice and they wouldn’t want to lose me so they would offer me anything to stay on. I already had my “demands” in my head…let me do my job – from home in Georgia. It was ideal…too good to be true. I knew this likely wouldn’t happen, so I started looking for jobs in Georgia and was having very little (read: no) success. Then, the time had come…the day to give notice. I personally don’t believe in giving just 2 week’s notice. I have always given several weeks notice since I work for people/companies who generally take good care of me. In this instance, I was giving 5 weeks’ notice. When I met with my boss, she basically said ok, and that was it. No counter offer, no trying to convince me not to leave, nothing. I was so upset, but then again, I knew that my idea really wouldn’t have been accepted anyway.
Fast forward two weeks…I’m in having a meeting with my boss. She asked me how things were going with preparing for the move and finding a job. I told her that things with the move were fine, but that I wasn’t having any luck at that point in securing employment. And then it happened. My mouth opened. The words started spilling out. I knew then, just as I know now, that it was me speaking, but it wasn’t really me speaking. I told her that I would love to see me be able to stay with the company in a work from home position in my current role. I kept talking and spilling the plan of how I thought it could work. I kept waiting for her to stop me, or to look at me and tell me I was crazy, but it never happened. Instead, she looked at me and said “interesting…let me think about that”. 48 hours later, we had approval. This is definitely the very abbreviated version of this story, but even so, I can’t help but think over the events of the last 3 weeks, and really – the last year – without realizing how I was guided and led, and ultimately…so blessed.
So, beginning April 25, I’ll be working at home. I get the best of everything. I get to keep the job I love (stressful though it may be), I get to see my parents every day, and I get to have a new adventure. 

No comments: