Monday, February 6, 2012

Mango Corn Bread


So, one of the items on my bucket list is to make all of the recipes from one of my favorite murder mystery series. Sunday was the first in what will prove to be a long process.
This is Mango Cornbread. The picture isn’t much to look at, but the flavor was pretty good. I also imagine substituting pineapple for the mango.
It turned out being much more dense that I like my cornbread…almost like a heavy cake. And it needed a bit more salt, though the sugar on top helped diffuse some of that dense flavor (is there such a thing as dense flavor??).  Actually, now that I think about it, Lori and I were working on this together and I’m wondering if we forgot to add some ingredients (thinking the other had already done it)…perhaps the salt and baking powder. Hmm, must pay more attention.

Here is the recipe:

2 cups flour
2 cups cornmeal
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup butter
½ cup sugar
4 eggs
2 cups milk
1 mango, chopped
1 tablespoon sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine dry ingredients and set aside. Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and milk. Add in dry ingredients, stir until just mixed. Add mango. Stir to combine. Pour batter into a greased 9x13-inch pan. Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. When bread is done baking, sprinkle top with sugar. Serve with softened butter.

Makes 12 servings.

Note: Can use a cornbread mix. Follow package instructions to prepare batter, then add cinnamon, nutmeg and mango. Mix according to recipe.

**I checked with Lori...we did forget the salt and baking soda. While this doesn't give me much confidence in following recipes (at least not together)...it does give me confidence that this will turn out SOOOO much better next time!**


No comments: