Thursday, January 20, 2011

Conversations with strangers

In my job I have the privilege of calling lots of people to do some pre-screening for open positions. I have to admit that of all the things that scare me in life, making phone calls is one of my biggest fears. I don't mind talking to people on the phone, I love when people call me, but I greatly dislike when I have to make a phone call. Give me a text message, email, face to face, smoke signal or pigeon; I'd take anything over calling people. This does present a slight problem when I do have to call people for work, but I've learned something really great. When I just get over my fear and do what I have to do, I find that I actually like talking with people. I recently had a phone call that just cracked me up and I had to share.
I started my interview like I normally would (with question 1) and waited for the reply. The candidate I was speaking with gave her answer to my question and then promptly followed it up with "not like those 20-somethings". I laughed at that comment the first time. I asked question 2, she gave me her answer, and then said "more than those 20-somethings". I continued to laugh, actually, my laughter increased. I ask 20 questions on these calls, and I think I heard the phrase "20-something" about 20-something times.
For the record, I fall into that 20-something category, though not how she was meaning. It always cracks me up that people think I'm so much older than I really am. Thank you genetics for getting me out of, and in to, some interesting situations. If it weren't for you, this post wouldn't be valid.

No comments: