Sunday, August 30, 2009

Dessert for breakfast, or vice versa?

I made cinnamon rolls yesterday - a double batch, some for friends and some for us. I knew I would have left overs and they would be perfect for freezing. It all worked out well, except for the fact that there would be extra for freezing. The dough turned out perfect and when they came out of the oven, I knew I wanted to do something special with the extras. I knew exactly what to do.

I took a regular cinnamon roll - unfrosted (don't get too anxious).


Make a batch of french toast dip (egg/milk combo, a little s&p). Dip the cinnamon roll in the egg mixture; soak as desired. I have texture issues, so I don't like letting the bread I use for french toast very long, however, my mother likes a very soft french toast, so she soaks for a long time. It's totally your call. If you are one of the people who likes a soft french toast, you may need to cut the cinnamon roll in half when you soak so it can get all the way through and you won't have to worry about burning it trying to get all of the egg in the center cooked.

Be aware - put the less sugary side down first. I would assume this would always be the bottom, but if you've found a way to get all of the sugar on top, well, then put it down - face up (is that right?) Anyway, cook it all on one side first and then flip it over. The second side down (the sugary side) will definitely cook faster (aka - it will burn). I also rotated the cinnamon roll on all four sides to make sure it was cooked all the way through.

When you are done you will have a crusty, sweet and tasty cinnamon roll.
I topped the cinnamon roll with an awesome Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting (so light - perfect) and blueberries.

Go indulge and ask yourself this - is it breakfast for dessert or dessert for breakfast?

No comments: