Saturday, October 12, 2013

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

Did you hear that it's pumpkin season again? Forget fall...it's all about the pumpkin. I've been busy with a LOT of things, but one of the things I'm happiest about is finding ways to use one bottle of canned pumpkin (thanks mom!!). I've made pumpkin cinnamon rolls (I'm doing that one again and will take pics and post a recipe), pumpkin smoothies for breakfast (the only problem is that when I'm finished, I want another!!), and this morning I made Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal for breakfast!

It was a GORGEOUS Saturday morning here in southeast Georgia! I had quite the to do list beginning with about 3 hours of homework. That takes some serious brain food. So, I grabbed a bowl full, got my assignment, sat down at the desk and enjoyed (and did some homework). I'm pretty sure I'll be making this again!!


Here's the scoop:

1 cup water
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup bottled pumpkin (if you are using a store bought can of pumpkin, you'll probably want to use a little less, but make it to suit your taste...you may want more!)
Pumpkin Pie Seasoning (to taste)
Cinnamon (to taste)
1 T almond milk (just for a little creaminess)
1/2 T spiced cream cheese frosting (optional...and a bit sinful!)

I'm not so good at the "wait for the water to boil" stuff, so I put the water, oats, pumpkin, and seasonings in all at the beginning, stirred it really well (my pumpkin is a little chunky as its bottled, but it's SOOOO good!). Place on medium heat until it starts to boil, reduce to a simmer. When oatmeal has reached the consistency you want (I like mine just a bit thicker than most), transfer to a bowl. If you were lucky like me and have leftover spiced cream cheese frosting, place a small dollop in the center and allow it to melt a bit. Then stir it up and enjoy!!

This makes 1 tasty serving!

No comments: