Monday, August 5, 2013

Ravioli Casserole

Today was the first day of school. To me, it doesn't mean that much. But to mom, it means the first day back to work. Around 11:45, just before my lunch break, I realized I should have made dinner for her so she didn't have to worry about anything when she got home, at least not on day one.

So what is a person to do? I found a recipe on Pinterest for this crock pot (are there any better words than that??) casserole. I may be a little slow, but there is NO ravioli in this casserole. But then I got to thinking and I think it gets it's name from the fact that the ingredients are all IN ravioli. Regardless, it was delicious!!!

The recipe comes from Katherine in the Kitchen and is a definite keeper and new addition to my recipe stash!!

I'm also being lazy and am snagging the photo of the dish directly from her blog. Seriously, go make this!!



Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef (today I used 1 lb ground turkey)
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
  • 1 can stewed tomatoes
  • 1 tsp. oregano
  • 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
  • Salt & pepper to taste (I also added in some crushed red pepper to taste)
  • 10 oz. spinach
  • 16 oz. bowtie pasta, cooked
  • 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
  • 1 1/2 cup mozzarella, shredded

Directions:
  1. Brown ground beef (or turkey) with onion and garlic.
  2. Put in crock-pot and add sauce, tomatoes, and seasonings
  3. Cook for 6-7 hours on low.
  4. Add the last 4 ingredients during the last 30 minutes of cooking and turn crock-pot to high.
  5. Add the fresh spinach, pasta, Parmesan, and 1 cup of the mozzarella and mix.
  6. Add the last 1/2 cup of mozzarella to melt on the top.
***Back to me***
I realize now I didn't follow ALL of the directions (surprise, surprise). After the meat and sauce had cooked, I just threw EVERYTHING else in for the last 30 minutes. It would appear that this is a very forgiving dish! And did I mention that it is DELICIOUS??? Why are you still sitting here?? Go find your crock pot...STAT! 

For those of you keeping score at home, this makes 10 servings and with the substitution of the turkey comes out to 6 WWPP (7 if you use ground beef)! 

No comments: