Friday, July 19, 2013

Banana Oatmeal Bars

Another slightly adventursome recipe! One of my coworkers found this one and knew that it would be something I would like to try (they know me too well).  This one is crazy easy, very dense and moist, and all around healthy!! Here's what you do...
 
3 mashed bananas
1/3 cup applesauce
2 cups oats
1/2 raisins
1/4 cup almond milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon

Mix all ingredients together. Pour into prepared pan (I sprayed mine with olive oil). Bake at 350 for 15 - 20 minutes.

Everytime I make a recipe that starts with "banana" as it's first ingredient, I hear immediately that it needs an egg, or baking soda, or SOMETHING to make it a little less dense. At first bite, I thought the same thing too. But on day 2, after it had time to sit, the flavors blended together better and, even though it was dense, I decided that I would change a thing. I used a 5 x 8" pan (do they even make a pan with those dimensions?? It was smallish and rectangular...good luck) and it made 12 servings which came out to 3 PointsPlus per square...not bad at all, if I do say so myself. :)

And when I make these again, I feel like I want to spice it up a bit...and for some bizarre reason I'm thinking chipotle pepper powder is just what I'm looking for. We'll see...

No comments: