Tuesday, May 28, 2013

"Come Unto Me"

With all of my adventures lately I’ve gotten off track in highlighting a talk from the April General Conference. So, I’m going to highlight this one today and will be back on track on Sunday.

The talk given by President Henry B. Eyring entitled “Come Unto Me” is truly a message of peace. And that is what I needed today. I’m having a really hard time this morning and feel broken and undervalued. Logically I know neither is true, but I’m working through that this morning. I’m glad that I missed getting this up on Sunday because this is a message that I need right this very minute.

I don’t have my notes with me this morning, but that is also okay. I am pretty sure I highlighted something totally different, so I’m going with a few quotes that struck a chord with me this morning in my current state. Hopefully they will also uplift you and bring you the peace and comfort you may be seeking.

“We will be able to do it without fail only as we feel love for the Savior and His love for us. As we are faithful to the promises we have made, we will feel our love for Him. It will increase because we will feel His power and His drawing near to us in His service.

“President Thomas S. Monson has reminded us often of the promise of the Lord to His faithful disciples: “And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up.”

“You remember the Lord’s promise to Joseph Smith and Sidney Rigdon when they were away from their families on His errands: “My friends Sidney and Joseph, your families are well; they are in mine hands, and I will do with them as seemeth me good; for in me there is all power.”

”Alma and the Saints of his day prayed for his son and the sons of King Mosiah. An angel came. Your prayers and the prayers of those who exercise their faith will bring the Lord’s servants to help your family members. They will help them choose the way home to God, even as they are attacked by Satan and his followers, whose purpose it is to destroy families in this life and in eternity.”

“My promise to you who pray and serve the Lord cannot be that you will have every blessing you may wish for yourself and your family. But I can promise you that the Savior will draw close to you and bless you and your family with what is best. You will have the comfort of His love and feel the answer of His drawing closer as you reach out your arms in giving service to others. As you bind up the wounds of those in need and offer the cleansing of His Atonement to those who sorrow in sin, the Lord’s power will sustain you. His arms are outstretched with yours to succor and bless the children of our Heavenly Father, including those in your family.”

This is the true Church of Jesus Christ. Only in the priesthood keys held by President Thomas S. Monson is the power for us to be sealed in families to live forever with our Heavenly Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. We will on the Day of Judgment stand before the Savior, face to face. It will be a time of joy for those who have drawn close to Him in His service in this life. It will be a joy to hear the words: “Well done, thou good and faithful servant.”19 I so testify as a witness of the risen Savior and our Redeemer in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.”

Reading this talk this morning reminded me that I need to get to work and be of service to others, to lose myself in the service of God. As I do that and strive to be obedient and keep the covenants I have made, repenting where needed, and follow Him with all of my might and strength, I will be buoyed up. I just have to emphasize one line, one more time! “You will have the comfort of His love and feel the answer of His drawing closer as you reach out your arms in giving service to others.” Here we go…time to serve!
 
Please read or listen to the full message found here.

No comments: