Friday, March 1, 2013

2013 - February Recap

How about it? March is here bringing with it a very successful February! Let’s recap the success of my goals!!

Read the standard works cover to cover: According to my handy little chart, I needed to read through 1 Samuel 21, and that's exactly what I did!
Walk 500 miles: February was a little slow in the walking department. There were a couple of long days (in to work before the sun came up and not home until way after the sun went down – VERY LONG days!!), a trip to Orlando and that little thing where my knee wouldn’t let me walk at all and I learned how to limp along. Luckily, it seems to be getting better and hopefully March will be a powerful month. The good news is, I was able to make it 30 miles this month!
Go a month without chocolate: This was a surprisingly fun challenge. I made it all 28 days without eating chocolate (though I still feel a little guilty about the chocolate covered strawberry incident from a few days ago). I learned some interesting things about myself.

1.       On a regular day, I don’t actually “crave” chocolate. I eat it just because I can.

2.       When I do crave chocolate, I am usually tired or stressed. I really only missed chocolate this month when I had those really long days at the office and there was no chocolate.

3.       I learned that I have been a weak person when it came to chocolate. You see, in my office in the cabinets behind my desk, we have a candy drawer (see, it looks tempting, doesn't it??). The folks I work with expect me to keep it stocked (this isn't up to par). This has been the hardest part of this whole month. It used to be a habit to eat chocolate. Basically if everyone else were eating it, I was going to partake as well. This month proved that I don’t need it (surprise, surprise), and in fact, most of the time I don’t even WANT it. And the coolest part of all was that when I filled up the drawer this week, the overwhelming smell of sugar and chocolate made me gag.

So, I get to cross that off the bucket list. I proved to myself that I could do it! I haven't quite decided on March's goal just yet, but it'll be a good one, wait and see.

No comments: