Friday, February 22, 2013

Same Story, Different End

In Institute this week we were studying the birth of the Savior. I found something very interesting, so of course I had to write it down somewhere so I wouldn't forget!
Part of the reading assignment was to read the story of the angel coming to Zacharias (Elisabeth's husband, John's father) and telling him he would have a son. He doubted and the Angel made him dumb so he could not speak until the things which he had told him were fulfilled.
Jump to Joseph. When the angel came to Joseph (in a dream), Joseph didn't doubt or question. He took action as he was commanded.
I find it interesting that, in essence, an angel appeared to both men and told them the same thing (different situations, same outcome - a son would be born to each of their wives). Their reactions were completely opposite and provide a wonderful comparison and example for our lives.
Like Joseph and Zacharias, we are told either by promptings of the Holy Ghost and personal revelation, or perhaps by the appropriate Priesthood authority, that something will happen. How we respond is the important thing. Are we like Zacharias and doubt the Lord's word or promise to us? Perhaps we just don't see how that "thing" is going to come to pass. Or are we like Joseph who believes, heeds, and takes action? Are we willing to face what other people may say (I imagine it wasn't easy for him or Mary during this time) as we prepare ourselves for the things we've been commanded?
I would love to say that I'm 100% Joseph-esque. But I'm probably more Zacharias than I want to admit. I had a very personal experience the other night as I was saying my prayers. It was wonderful and received some answers I'd been searching for, but as they came to me, I started analyzing and questioning - not doubting necessarily, but I was definitely a little faithless. I've had to adjust my attitude. I do not know how things are going to play out according to His plan for me; I see such a little glimpse of it. But I do know that He is able to do His work. I need to be more Joseph. I need to take action. I need to plan and prepare according to what I've been directed. I don't know everything, but I know enough to get started. So, to work I go...

No comments: