Thursday, January 10, 2013

Preparing for Your Spiritual Destiny

I recently inherited an iPhone and I'm SOOO in love with it, but probably not for all the reasons you may think. Sure, I can now check my emails, play games, even get directions wherever I am, but none of those are the reasons I LOVE it. I love it because I can listen to the scriptures and any general conference talk or BYU address ever given, basically. I am learning so much thanks to this amazing gift of technology!

Today I listened to a talk given by Elder Neil L. Andersen on January 10, 2010 (three years ago TODAY - pure coincidence or divine inspiration??) entitled Preparing for Your Spiritual Destiny. I just had to share a few quotes from Elder Andersen.

1. "Take comfort in knowing that you are joined by thousands and hundred of thousands in the challenges you face and in the important purposes you feel"

2. "Our premortal life was not a passive existence. We had choices to make there as we do here. We had progressed and were in need of a physical body and the experiences of mortality. We needed to prove our willingness to live by faith. Our Heavenly Father presented a plan to us. Central to that plan was the role of His Only Begotten Son to provide a way back for us. We accepted the Father's plan and rejoice in the chosen Savior. Our foreordained opportunities and responsibilities help shape what we are to do in mortality. In ways not fully understood, "our actions in the spirit would influence us in mortality."

3. "Have you ever wondered: Why is it that I am who I am? Why is it I feel the way I feel? Why have I chosen to believe so fully in the Lord Jesus Christ? Why do I choose to keep His commandments when others do not care about them? Why do I feel the way I do about the Book of Mormon?" ..."You were chosen and foreordained to have the gospel in your life and to be a leader in the cause of the restored gospel."

4. "Spiritual preparation will uncover your own inner resources. There is power in prayer. There is strength in the scriptures."

5. "And personal righteousness is essential to having the gift of the Holy Ghost. We will not be guided by the Holy Ghost if we are casual about our obedience."

And finally:

6. "Your spiritual destiny will have obstacles, delays, and equipment malfunctions. There will be mistakes. You may wonder if you are going to make it. Don't be discouraged! You will also have moments of hope and faith as doors open and obstacles are overcome. Continue, persist, above all, believe in Christ and learn to follow Him and His prophets; endure, as Nephi said, with a "brightness of hope" (2 Nephi 31:20). As you do, I promise you, one day you will hear your name. You will make it."

To read the full address, click here.

No comments: