Monday, July 30, 2012

The Magic of an Ordinary Day


I was flipping through channels the other day and saw this movie title. I didn’t even read the description or watch the movie, but the title struck me! Sometimes I think I get stuck in this mode of living for the next moment or the next big thing, something like living off a checklist or schedule.
I love life…I mean, I REALLY love life. If you know me at all, you know that I’m a pretty happy-go-lucky kind of person. I truly feel that life has so much to offer; there is so much good to be had – why would you NOT want to enjoy it? That’s where this movie title comes into play. Sometimes, our daily lives are that checklist, or we’re tied to a schedule, or we feel we’re trapped in a routine. Maybe we feel that if big things aren’t happening on a regular basis that we’re stuck.  I’m learning that there is a sort of magic to this type of day. It’s an opportunity to MAKE your own magic.
Last Wednesday was the last day of my last job. It’s been an interesting experience to get to this point, but it’s finally over. Thursday and Friday I kept myself busy pressure washing our house (please add this to this list of things I’m good at...look for my ad in this Sunday’s paper, haha), and was treated to a wonderful visit from my brother and sister-in-law and their kids, and then a wonderful date (can life get any better??). Saturday, I determined that I wanted to have a free day…I wanted do whatever I wanted to. The problem with that is that I woke up that morning and didn’t know what to do, so I didn’t do anything (for a little while). Living in a small town provides a limited array of activities (and I’d already been to WalMart the day before). So, I realized then that I had to get creative and just do something. I made dinner – a semi-fancy dinner that I’ve wanted to do for a while now. I took myself back-to-work shopping and just got moving. It wasn’t super creative or adventurous, but it was what I needed.
Maybe that’s the magic. It’s not that something big happened to change the way I felt, or that something big happened to alter my ideas…I just did something! So, I’m creating a new challenge for myself, to see the magic of an ordinary day. On that day, it was just to get out and realize that, though it is a small town, it is still wonderful and I love it. There is NOWHERE else I would rather be. Tomorrow, perhaps it will just be the joy of seeing the sunrise (though in all honesty I have no intention of actually seeing the sunrise tomorrow – maybe this weekend). What will your magic moment be?

No comments: