Wednesday, May 23, 2012

I Should Have...

Several years ago I was at a Relief Society Enrichment Night activity and one of the women was talking about how we all, but specifically women, like to torment ourselves with guilt. We may not think we do, but we all recount the things we should done.

She explained that the when we say the word should we automatically feel guilt. I should have worked out this morning. I should have done the laundry. I should have done this differently. She suggested that instead of using the word should, we use the phrase "I would have liked...". For example: I would have liked to take the dog for a walk. I would have liked to have gone for a walk.

Now, I can't say that by doing this I feel less guilty, but for some reason I feel more inspired to try again tomorrow. Maybe that's the key. The guilt from "should" makes me feel like I missed the boat, it's too late; what's done is done. The guilt from "I would have liked..." is a building block and a checklist item.

So today, I would have liked to take a vacation day. Maybe tomorrow. :)

No comments: