Thursday, March 15, 2012

A New Beginning

Every Wednesday I have a one on one meeting with my boss. We catch up on things that are going on and I tell her about any issues or concerns that I've been handling, mostly in an effort to keep everyone on the same page. Today, I went into her office and the conversation went slightly differently than anticipated. Instead of walking in and saying we have this issue, and this thing is happening, and you should know about this, she asked if anything new and exciting was going on. I made a fast decision and decided to tell her what was going on...it sounded something like:
"I've decided to move to Georgia. My last day will be April 18th."
And then I heard the Hallelujah chorus. And then we lost power, probably because I was so excited I zapped the electricity...or it was an omen - I choose option 1.
So, even though I won't actually move for just over a month, today, March 14 @ 10:00 was the first day of my new life. No secrets from the boss or co-workers (that's been the worst to keep), no worrying about people in my personal life somehow finding people in my professional life and spilling the beans too early (paranoid much?). I can go ahead and plan everything...and then when my plans don't go according to plan, I'll make new plans. Either way, tomorrow is a new day - one day less left in Utah; one day closer to actually settling into my new life in Georgia (by the way...this would be the anonymous "decision" referenced in many recent posts, just in case you hadn't caught that). I'm not entirely sure what my new life is going to look like, but I am thrilled at the chance I have to do this now. This has been in the works for months and it's great to see things falling into place. 
And, just for fun...when I moved here I jokingly said I would stay here for two years. I arrived on April 22, 2010 and will leave on April 21, 2012. Two years to the day (if you don't count leap day...which I don't because it makes it that much cooler!).

No comments: