Saturday, October 2, 2010

Carmel Apple Cinnamon Rolls

A couple of weeks ago, our ward went to our bishop's house to pick apples and other fruits. He let us all take what we wanted home with us. I knew, almost instantly, that I wanted to do something "different" with them. I decided to make Carmel Apple Cinnamon Rolls. Make any sweet dough recipe - I just use a basic roll dough recipe. It's sweet without being too sweet.
While the dough is rising, you will need to do two things: first, core, peel and slice your apples; second, make a carmel sauce. Apples: I used two for this, but next time I would probably double that. I sauteed them in a sauce pan with a little bit of butter, just until they were becoming tender. Carmel sauce: I have no idea how much of anything I used, but I used a little butter, some brown sugar, and a bit of cream. Cook until the sugar is dissolved. (If I were being the slightest bit technical, my guess would be that I cooked my to soft ball stage, but I didn't actually check...oops).
After the dough has had a chance to rise (doubled in size), roll it out onto a lightly floured surface. Proceed as you normally would if you were making regular cinnamon rolls. Before you start to roll the dough, spread the apples over the dough. Then begin rolling. On The Pioneer Woman's website, she suggested rolling the dough toward yourself - a great tip!
Before rolling

Carmel sauce in the pan, ready and waiting.

Place rolls in pan. Leave enough space for them to rise.

See how well it raised!

Piping hot, just out of the oven.

Just turn the baking pan over onto a larger plate/tray to dump the rolls out. This lets the carmel sauce run all over everything.
The next time I do this I think I would save the carmel sauce for the end and drizzle it over the top. Also, I would add less brown sugar at the beginning since the sauce is rather sweet.

No comments: